Departure: Every day at 09:00AM
Pick-up & Return location: Your hotel in Sofia
Availability: every day, all year round
Duration: 9-10 hours
Max People: 8 persons
Languages offered: English and Spanish
Full Day Trip to Plovdiv and The Thracian Valley, Including Lunch and Tasting of 5 Delicious Bulgarian Wines
- Visit Plovdiv – Bulgaria’s oldest and second-largest city and 2019 European Capital of Culture
- Take a tour of a winery, nestled at the foot of the Rhodope mountain in the Thracian Valley
- Taste 5 boutique Bulgarian wines, paired with delicious light bites
- Enjoy a traditional Bulgarian lunch including wine in a typical Plovdiv restaurant
- Small-group tour – maximum 8 participants
- All year round – the wine day trip from Sofia is run every day. Every season has its own treasures!
Discover the stunning wine region of the Thracian Valley around Plovdiv and learn about Bulgarian wine, vineyards, culture and history, with this authentic full-day wine tour from Sofia.
You will get a taste of the uniqueness of the Plovdiv wine tasting possibilities, enjoy the local wines and most importantly, have an unforgettable day!
Get picked up in the morning and travel to Plovdiv city, the second-largest of Bulgaria. Explore the Old Town, the Kapana Art District and visit the Ancient Roman Theatre. After the walking city tour of Plovdiv, enjoy a delicious lunch in a traditional Bulgarian restaurant. You will visit a boutique winery in the wine region surrounding Plovdiv and experience wine tasting of 5 unique wines, including some cold cuts, cheeses, and bread. Learn about the winemaking process from a local winery representative and get an introduction to native grape varieties such as Mavrud. We will also visit the vineyards of the winery, depending on the weather.
|Departure & Return Location||National Theatre in Sofia: 5 “Dyakon Ignatiy” str, Sofia. Hotel pickups are available on request.|
|Deparure Time||Every day at 7:20 AM from December to April. Hotel pickups from 7:00 to 7:20 AM.|
|What to Bring||Layered clothing, snacks, drinking water (preferably reusable water bottle)|
- 2-4 people: 115 euro per person
- 5-8 people: 95 euro per person
- 9+ people: upon request
In case you are a solo traveler or a group of more than 8 people, please let us know, and we will prepare an individual offer for you. The wine day trip from Sofia can be customized according to your preferences.
- Transportation according to the itinerary
- Walking tour of Plovdiv city
- Traditional Bulgarian lunch including wine
- Admission fee and visit Plovdiv Ancient Theatre
- Professional English-speaking driver/guide
- Tour of the winery and tasting of 5 wines including, paired with delicious cheeses and cold cuts and mineral water
- Pick-up & drop-off at your accommodation in Sofia
- VAT and local taxes
- personal expenses & tips
- Please mention food allergies or dietary requirements at the time of booking
- Payment can be processed via bank transfer, PayPal or in cash to the driver on the day of the trip (both euro or leva).
- Departure every day from January 1st to December 31st from your address in Sofia. The tour will run in all weather conditions.
- Please wear comfortable shoes and dress appropriately for the weather conditions.
- Trip duration: 9 to 10 hours including transfers. Expected return in Sofia by 18:00 PM
- Transfers duration: 1h 45min per direction.
- Trip schedule:
9:00 – 10:45 Pick-up and transfer from Sofia to Plovdiv
11:00 – 13:00 Walking tour of Plovdiv, including visit of the Ancient Theater
13:00 – 14:15 Lunch
14:15 – 15:00 Drive from Plovdiv to the foot of Rhodope mountain through the Thracian Valley
15:00 – 17:00 Visit of the vineyards (depending on the weather conditions), a tour of the winery and wine tasting
17:00 – 18:45 Drive from the winery to Sofia. Drop-off at your hotel
Thracian Valley Wine Region & the Winery
The number of wine cellars in the Thracian Valley is “saturating”. Surely this is because it is located in the lands once inhabited by the Thracians. They understood that to make wine is a skill, but to create a good wine is an art.
The Valley itself is famous for its wine production. This is the largest wine region of Bulgaria and it has rich traditions in winemaking, beginning with the ancient Thracians living in the area. Nestled between the Stara Planina (the Balkan mountain) and the Rhodope mountains, the Thracian valley is a fertile, warm and cozy place and for that reason, it has been inhabited for thousands of years. The vineyards of the winery we will visit are situated on the outskirts of the sunny stirp, which forms the Rhodope Collar, some 20-30 km from Plovdiv. The micro region at the foot of the Rhodope Mountains boasts conditions that are particularly appropriate for the development of winemaking and, for this reason, a rich wine history also. The specific soil and climatic characteristics, which distinguish it from other wine-producing regions, are due to the geographic location in southern Bulgaria – the proximity to the mountains and the Mediterranean Sea beyond them. This influences a combination of factors like soul structure, temperature, humidity, and precipitation. The cellar processes 300 tonnes of grapes from their own vineyards, used to produce boutique series of high-quality white and red wines including Chardonnay and the typical Mavrud and Rubin.
The tasting package includes a visit to the winery’s park-vineyard, getting acquainted with the various sorts and the characteristics of the terroir, learning about the history of the region, following the Way of the Wine in the cellar’s production buildings and enoteca, commentary on each wine tasted and details on its “wineification”, meat and dairy products, bread and mineral water.